128.io Unofficial Feeds for Stitcher Premium
2017 - 2020
This project provided RSS feeds for each show or mini-series found on
the Stitcher Premium subscription service. It was created to allow
consuming shows from Stitcher Premium on other podcast apps than
Stitcher's own app.
- Listed known shows with premium content
- Supported searching Stitcher's catalog
- Provided RSS feeds for each Stitcher Premium show
- Provided episode download links that worked even if episode audio url
- Prometheus-compatible endpoint for application metrics
- PHP 7.4 (strict typing)
- Laravel Lumen microframework (launched at 5.3, 7.x at shutdown)
- Used Middleware written for authentication, blocking misbehaving podcast
- Integrated with Stitcher for authenticating users, checking
subscription status, and searching their catalog of shows
- Relied on Basic authentication to securely authenticate users when
accessing RSS feeds.
- Tokenized URLs used for enclosure URLs to verify membership at time
of audio download.
- Went through multiple iterations before landing on an efficient
caching solution for interaction with Stitcher's API.
- Handled over 4000 users and 1.2 million requests per day on a single
$15 VPS at the time of its shutdown in 2020.
The source code is available under the MIT License.